It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pollster status
Poll ended at Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:22 pm
Yes 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
No 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8
Author Message
 Post subject: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:22 pm 
Offline
Sophomore
Sophomore
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:27 pm
Cash on hand:
60.83

Posts: 114
Favorite Team: UCF
See KnightLife77's poll
Well I have been doing this for my own enjoyment, but figured might as well join the fun a bit.

I do use an equation for my poll. So at times some oddities do show up especially early in the year when my equation has trouble figuring out the SOS column.

Hope I did this right and guessing I am suppose to create the poll if not just let me know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:04 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:07 pm
Cash on hand:
1,354.12

Posts: 603
Location: Margaritaville
Favorite Team: Ohio State FSU service academies
See CFBrocks's poll
open the door and let them in

_________________
I will never regret getting older-not everyone gets that chance
If you love your freedom, thank a Vet God Bless Our Military(retired AF 1979-99)
Avatar is my team of the week


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 pm 
Offline
Sophomore
Sophomore

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:42 pm
Cash on hand:
1,045.35

Posts: 223
Favorite Team: Clemson
See ASJTimm's poll
My concern before voting is that I'm curious about your formula if Mississippi State remains above Georgia after such a decisive head-to-head victory.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Miss st vs Georgia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:15 pm 
Offline
Sophomore
Sophomore
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:27 pm
Cash on hand:
60.83

Posts: 114
Favorite Team: UCF
See KnightLife77's poll
These are how the games for each team broke down. The first column isn't important it is more for the other team that helps the sos which is related to my third coulumn.

The second column is an overall performance ranking and the third column is the weight for sos. The third column changes for every team every week based on how teams they have already played perform which also changes the second column.

Miss St VS. 2nd column. 3rd column

Charleston Southern. ------- 4.0 -----------0
La Tech----------------------- 3.3--------- 0.5
LSU----------------------------- 2.8. --------- 1.25
Georgia.---------------------- ( -2.5) ---------2.2

Final score 11.55

Georgia.

Appy----------------------------1.8 --------- 0.3
Norte Dame---------------------0.2 ---------2.33
Samford------------------------ 2.4 ----------0
Miss St.------------------------- 3.0 ---------- 1.25

Final score. 11.28

The only score that won't change is those VS the fcs teams those are final because I won't try to figure out the fcs teams too so they all get a zero weight sos. The rest are at their lowest weight and can only go up. So La Tech shows a better score for Miss St then the Norte Dame win does for Georgia, but in the long run I fully expect the ND game to surpass the La Tech one.


Last edited by KnightLife77 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:00 am 
Offline
Junior
Junior

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:49 pm
Cash on hand:
373.74

Bank:
10,154.31

Posts: 317
Favorite Team: None
See harryjunior's poll
As always I am a yes vote.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Miss st vs Georgia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:21 am 
Offline
Heisman
Heisman

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:28 pm
Cash on hand:
5,321.35

Bank:
192,443.95

Posts: 1518
Favorite Team: Florida
See Crayton's poll
KnightLife77 wrote:
These are how the games for each team broke down. The first column isn't important it is more for the other team that helps the sos which is related to my third coulumn.

The second column is an overall performance ranking and the third column is the weight for sos. The third column changes for every team every week based on how teams they have already played perform which also changes the second column.

Miss St VS. 2nd column. 3rd column

Charleston Southern. ------- 4.0 -----------0
La Tech----------------------- 3.3--------- 0.5
LSU----------------------------- 2.8. --------- 1.25
Georgia.---------------------- ( -2.5) ---------2.2

Final score 11.55

Georgia.

Appy----------------------------1.8 --------- 0.3
Norte Dame---------------------0.2 ---------2.33
Samford------------------------ 2.4 ----------0
Miss St.------------------------- 3.0 ---------- 1.25

Final score. 11.28

The only score that won't change is those VS the fcs teams those are final because I won't try to figure out the fcs teams too so they all get a zero weight sos. The rest are at their lowest weight and can only go up. So La Tech shows a better score for Miss St then the Norte Dame win does for Georgia, but in the long run I fully expect the ND game to surpass the La Tech one.
I can understand how Notre Dame and Miss St are >2 SOS while FCS teams are 0 (3rd column). I can see a loss being (negative) too. But how does CSU score a 4.0 victory for Miss St? Margin of victory?

If so, I suggest adding a bonus for wins/losses. A 1-point victory should score more similarly to a 4-point win than to a 1-point loss. Otherwise you might as well compare the season's PF/PA and ignore W/L.

_________________
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
--Proverbs 15:1

Fan Playoff Selection Committee // Wild Card Game


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline
Sophomore
Sophomore
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:27 pm
Cash on hand:
60.83

Posts: 114
Favorite Team: UCF
See KnightLife77's poll
You will have to help me out what you are referencing. What 4 point win?

The CSU game was just a factor of being dominated in offense and defense and score spread. I try not to penalize a team to much for playing a fcs team. The goal is to treat fcs teams as a 0-12 fbs team if that helps. This is also why the weights for sos are crazy at the beginning of the year as it assumes that every team will lose their remaining games. This is also why the final calculations for the last week can't go lower than they already are. I think after rereading it you were comparing the CSU Norte Dame games. If that is the case then what happens is this. I try to balance out performance soma dominating performance over a weak team can equal a close win against a great team. The max you can score in the second column is 6. I tweaked that 2 years ago because some of the blowout wins were outperforming quality wins.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:03 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:07 pm
Cash on hand:
1,354.12

Posts: 603
Location: Margaritaville
Favorite Team: Ohio State FSU service academies
See CFBrocks's poll
KnightLife77 wrote:
You will have to help me out what you are referencing. What 4 point win?

The CSU game was just a factor of being dominated in offense and defense and score spread. I try not to penalize a team to much for playing a fcs team. The goal is to treat fcs teams as a 0-12 fbs team if that helps. This is also why the weights for sos are crazy at the beginning of the year as it assumes that every team will lose their remaining games. This is also why the final calculations for the last week can't go lower than they already are. I think after rereading it you were comparing the CSU Norte Dame games. If that is the case then what happens is this. I try to balance out performance soma dominating performance over a weak team can equal a close win against a great team. The max you can score in the second column is 6. I tweaked that 2 years ago because some of the blowout wins were outperforming quality wins.


I sort of have my own version of quality points
1 point-if one ranked team beats another
2 points-if one team beats a HIGHER ranked team
3 points-for beating the #1 ranked team

_________________
I will never regret getting older-not everyone gets that chance
If you love your freedom, thank a Vet God Bless Our Military(retired AF 1979-99)
Avatar is my team of the week


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:50 pm 
Offline
Sophomore
Sophomore
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:27 pm
Cash on hand:
60.83

Posts: 114
Favorite Team: UCF
See KnightLife77's poll
CFBrocks wrote:
KnightLife77 wrote:

I sort of have my own version of quality points
1 point-if one ranked team beats another
2 points-if one team beats a HIGHER ranked team
3 points-for beating the #1 ranked team



I thought about adding a home away and neutral site system, but after one week I found that it was just really cumbersome to do. I was really happy how my poll was looking last year before I got sick so decided the extra layer wasn't really needed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:03 pm 
Offline
High School Player
High School Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:37 pm
Cash on hand:
54.98

Posts: 16
Favorite Team: Syracuse Orangemen
See wbuts54's poll
I have to vote no, seeing Fresno and Air Force as #1 teams is just too crazy for me, common sense must be used over numerical data.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:56 pm 
Offline
Heisman
Heisman

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:28 pm
Cash on hand:
5,321.35

Bank:
192,443.95

Posts: 1518
Favorite Team: Florida
See Crayton's poll
KnightLife77 wrote:
You will have to help me out what you are referencing. What 4 point win?

The CSU game was just a factor of being dominated in offense and defense and score spread. I try not to penalize a team to much for playing a fcs team. The goal is to treat fcs teams as a 0-12 fbs team if that helps. This is also why the weights for sos are crazy at the beginning of the year as it assumes that every team will lose their remaining games. This is also why the final calculations for the last week can't go lower than they already are. I think after rereading it you were comparing the CSU Norte Dame games. If that is the case then what happens is this. I try to balance out performance soma dominating performance over a weak team can equal a close win against a great team. The max you can score in the second column is 6. I tweaked that 2 years ago because some of the blowout wins were outperforming quality wins.
I think I understand a bit more. My suggestion may then be that rather than assigning a value in the 2nd column between 0 and 6 for a win, assign a value between 1 and 6 or 2 and 6. This gives teams a bonus for winning.

Georgia got 0.2 for their 1-point win against Notre Dame and I assume the Golden Domers probably got -0.2, practically the same reward given regardless of if a tally went into the W or the L column. If instead the teams were given, for example, scores of 2.2 and -2.2 respectively, the win itself is given value (as wins are by fans, coaches, players, and most pollsters).

If you have the ability to change things quickly, I might suggest trying the scale starting at 1, 2, and 3 to see which produces the most likable Top 25; but if changing such a thing is laborious, my gut says having your second column range from 1 to 6 (and -1 to -6 for a loss) would be an excellent balance between your system's unique flair and a proper rewarding for Ws and Ls.

_________________
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
--Proverbs 15:1

Fan Playoff Selection Committee // Wild Card Game


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:38 am 
Offline
Sophomore
Sophomore
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:27 pm
Cash on hand:
60.83

Posts: 114
Favorite Team: UCF
See KnightLife77's poll
Crayton wrote:
KnightLife77 wrote:

Georgia got 0.2 for their 1-point win against Notre Dame and I assume the Golden Domers probably got -0.2, practically the same reward given regardless of if a tally went into the W or the L column. If instead the teams were given, for example, scores of 2.2 and -2.2 respectively, the win itself is given value (as wins are by fans, coaches, players, and most pollsters).

If you have the ability to change things quickly, I might suggest trying the scale starting at 1, 2, and 3 to see which produces the most likable Top 25; but if changing such a thing is laborious, my gut says having your second column range from 1 to 6 (and -1 to -6 for a loss) would be an excellent balance between your system's unique flair and a proper rewarding for Ws and Ls.


I looked it up Norte Dame got (-0.6) for the loss to Georgia. The reason is because Georgia's column 3 is 2.2 and Norte Dames is 2.33. If you wonder how Norte Dame has a higher weight it is because all of their games are against fbs opponents with the lone loss by 1 which didn't hurt them much. where Georgia played Samford which hurts Georgia's power index since the penalty of 0 comes into play.

To add what you suggested actually wouldn't be that hard. would be easier than doing the home away neutral site concept. As I said in my first post the swings early in the season are crazy but by the time the majority of the teams have played 6 games it really starts to even out and the numbers posted for the games played for Georgia and Miss St. will have changed to reflect that (except the FCS games)

To the poster above that said some common sense needs to be used. If I did that then I would just post who I think the top 25 are which inherently is going to have some bias because all humans have bias and not use what I am using right now. I wish you could see my 2016 polls because you could see how the week to week poll starts to work itself out. You wouldn't be able to see the first 3 weeks because I didn't post my first poll until week 4 when most of the craziness worked itself out. And why are last years poll results not available would be nice to look back on it. Anyways So yes every year my first 3 to 4 weeks will look crazy in some places but by weeks 5 to 6 it should resemble "common sense".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:16 pm 
Offline
High School Player
High School Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:37 pm
Cash on hand:
54.98

Posts: 16
Favorite Team: Syracuse Orangemen
See wbuts54's poll
Yea I didn't mean to be disparaging or anything, however I treat this as an opinion poll and of course were gonna have bias, that's what makes it a human poll. Having Air Force #1 needs more justification then "that's what the computer spit out". I want people to vote for who they personally think the best team is at #1. IMO a win against Virginia Military doesn't scream #1 team. I hated the BCS era, and LOVING the 4 team playoff. The game is played on the field, not in mathematical formulas.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:08 am 
Offline
Heisman
Heisman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:39 am
Cash on hand:
2,385.66

Bank:
201,746.49

Posts: 1838
Location: Michigan
Favorite Team: University of Michigan --- GO BLUE
See PollMastaJ's poll
I don't have a problem with erratic rankings early on. We're all just guessing anyways. I am confused as to how beating Charleston Southern is worth 4 points in the "2nd column" and winning at Notre Dame is only 0.2, regardless of margin of victory (if I'm reading this correctly). I guess I'd argue it's not proportionate if a blowout over an FCS team earns more than a close win over a good FBS team.

_________________
The TEAM, the TEAM, the TEAM.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Request for official pollster status
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:24 am 
Offline
Sophomore
Sophomore
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:27 pm
Cash on hand:
60.83

Posts: 114
Favorite Team: UCF
See KnightLife77's poll
PollMastaJ wrote:
I don't have a problem with erratic rankings early on. We're all just guessing anyways. I am confused as to how beating Charleston Southern is worth 4 points in the "2nd column" and winning at Notre Dame is only 0.2, regardless of margin of victory (if I'm reading this correctly). I guess I'd argue it's not proportionate if a blowout over an FCS team earns more than a close win over a good FBS team.


Would you say a 1 point win over a 3-9 team scored 2.53
While a 40 point win over an 0-12 team scores.........4.00
Sounds about right? I am hoping you answer yes :)

Theoretically this is how it is being scored. Remember both columns must be added together to get the full score for that individual game and the assumption is nobody wins the rest of the year. So Notre Dame is the 3-9 team above. Of course we already know that the CSU game won't change as I previously mentioned, but the only way the Notre Dame game doesn't change is if both Georgia and Notre Dame lost all their remaining games. As much as I would love to see Notre Dame lose all their games, I have a feeling that won't occur lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group