All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hi!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:31 am 
High School Player
High School Player

Cash on hand:

Favorite Team: Notre Dame
See Juror08's poll
Good morning! Just logged my second poll (didn't find the site in time to vote in off-season).

A bit about me (which I'm pretty much swiping from the sticky post above):

Favorite teams: Notre Dame. (Sorry..) My dad was raised with Notre Dame, so it's all I've ever known. (Football only, though. I'm with Xavier in basketball (m/w).)

Job: I'm a Deacon (although not the Demon kind) in the Lutheran church.

Family: Beautiful wife. Fluffy cat.

Poll philosophy: Honestly, still sorting that out; I'd like to add a bit of computer ranking to my methods, but haven't really started it yet. I'd say I'm fairly standard, but I do lean towards the "this year, this poll" ideology -- if Mid-Major X is really good this year, they should be ranked really high this year, rather than spending this year climbing the rankings only to miss out on the right bowl, be ranked too high next year, take a tumble and have to start everything all over again. (For example, I don't care if you're, say, Michigan at #12 and just beat a #2 Ohio State, as long as Houston also won, you're not leapfrogging them. And so on.)

Conference champions/front runners: If you're a team that is clearly the class of your Group of 5 conference, and you're running with 0 or 1 loss(es), then I think something in the 20s isn't too much of a stretch, if your team actually looks good on the field. Likewise, if you're killing it in your Power 5 Conference, but your 2 losses aren't particularly great showings, you don't get to be #8 just for pity's sake. Win the games you play.

I also admit a bias against playing an FCS school -- I don't penalize for it, but you're not going to gain any points for beating up on Prairie View. (I do modify this slightly if you're a Mid-Major -- or, less so, a Power 5 -- who has scheduled a ranked/perennially ranked FCS team, or if you're transitioning/just transitioned, and are scheduling a recent rival.)

Mostly though, I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here, and being in discussion, and actually seeing what it feels like to try to pick these teams each week -- I hope it will give me a better insight into the process, and make the season more fun, too.

Post subject: Re: Hi!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand:

Favorite Team: Clemson
See TheTopFan's poll
Welcome - always glad to see new people!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:24 pm 
Junior
Junior

Cash on hand:

Favorite Team: Penn State
See Dasyboja's poll
welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:29 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: University of Michigan --- GO BLUE
See PollMastaJ's poll
Welcome! Yes always great to add pollsters. Definitely apply to be an official pollster once you've voted for 4 straight weeks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:47 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: Nevada Wolfpack
See NVWolfpack's poll
Juror08 wrote:
Good morning! Just logged my second poll (didn't find the site in time to vote in off-season).

A bit about me (which I'm pretty much swiping from the sticky post above):

Favorite teams: Notre Dame. (Sorry..) My dad was raised with Notre Dame, so it's all I've ever known. (Football only, though. I'm with Xavier in basketball (m/w).) We'll forgive you!

Job: I'm a Deacon (although not the Demon kind) in the Lutheran church. Very cool!

Family: Beautiful wife. Fluffy cat. Beautiful wife yes, cat no (2 dogs)

Poll philosophy: Honestly, still sorting that out; I'd like to add a bit of computer ranking to my methods, but haven't really started it yet. I'd say I'm fairly standard, but I do lean towards the "this year, this poll" ideology -- if Mid-Major X is really good this year, they should be ranked really high this year, rather than spending this year climbing the rankings only to miss out on the right bowl, be ranked too high next year, take a tumble and have to start everything all over again. (For example, I don't care if you're, say, Michigan at #12 and just beat a #2 Ohio State, as long as Houston also won, you're not leapfrogging them. And so on.) Agreed. I have Houston #1 simply because they had the most impressive win over Oklahoma.

Conference champions/front runners: If you're a team that is clearly the class of your Group of 5 conference, and you're running with 0 or 1 loss(es), then I think something in the 20s isn't too much of a stretch, if your team actually looks good on the field. Likewise, if you're killing it in your Power 5 Conference, but your 2 losses aren't particularly great showings, you don't get to be #8 just for pity's sake. Win the games you play. YES

I also admit a bias against playing an FCS school -- I don't penalize for it, but you're not going to gain any points for beating up on Prairie View. How about NDSU taking down Iowa today! I just explained to my wife this morning about scheduling OOC opponents and I used Iowa as the example of a major conference team that NEVER schedules tough OOC opponents. Nice work NDSU! (I do modify this slightly if you're a Mid-Major -- or, less so, a Power 5 -- who has scheduled a ranked/perennially ranked FCS team, or if you're transitioning/just transitioned, and are scheduling a recent rival.)

Mostly though, I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here, and being in discussion, and actually seeing what it feels like to try to pick these teams each week -- I hope it will give me a better insight into the process, and make the season more fun, too.

Welcome Juror! Do you have an idea of a computer poll yet? I have been using power ratings to poll my teams the last two seasons. Basically, it measures teams against the spread. So is team A is favored by 20 points (according to Vegas) and they only win by 3, they actually lose power rating (PR) points and the losing team would gain points. What are your thoughts on that?
Hope you enjoy the site. We have respectful and thought-provoking discussions.

3. Washington
4. Penn St.
5. Ohio St.