Post subject: Who gets the 4th spot?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:18 am 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: Nevada Wolfpack
See NVWolfpack's poll
Clemson, Oklahoma, and Georgia punched their ticket winning their conference. Who deserves the last and final spot?

3. Georgia
4. Alabama
5. UCF

Post subject: Re: Who gets the 4th spot?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:29 am 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

See NVWolfpack's poll
Justification for each:

Alabama: #1 team basically all season. They looked unstoppable until a close win at Miss St. and eventually lost to Auburn in the Iron Bowl. They finished 11-1 but their two best wins were Miss St. and LSU. Whether or not they get in, gun to my head, I think the Tide is the best team in the country and I bet Vegas would agree if they had to handicap the odds for the remaining teams.

tOSU: Big 10 champs. They have more impressive wins beating Penn St., MSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin but worse losses as they got demolished by Oklahoma and Iowa. How much do you value conference championship?

USC: Same deal as tOSU. Conference champs. 2 losses (@ WSU and got whooped by ND) but they beat Stanford twice, Texas, and Arizona.

UCF: They went undefeated and beat a good USF and Memphis (I know BB, they tied vs. Memphis today). Without losing, who can say that any other team is better?

Other: Maybe Auburn or Wisconsin?

3. Georgia
4. Alabama
5. UCF

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:32 am 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

See NVWolfpack's poll
I picked Alabama because I think they're the best team and the only team that can beat Clemson. I would pick UCF second.

3. Georgia
4. Alabama
5. UCF

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:10 am 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: Florida
See Crayton's poll
My bet is on Alabama, because Ohio State did not make the statement win they needed.

Even though this puts 2 SEC teams in the playoff it would not risk that dreaded rematch. This, in part, will satisfy excluding Ohio State, who already lost to

The question in my mind is whether the Sugar gets its contractual champs from the Big 12 and SEC or if that matchup is booted to Pasadena to give 'Bama-Clemson Part III a nearer venue for the #1 Tigers.

Any chance #6 Georgia stays behind #5 Alabama? This would open the door to another Cavs-Warr... Tigers-Tide Championship tilt.

SUGAR: #1 Clemson vs. #4 Alabama
ROSE: #2 Georgia vs. #3 Oklahoma
PEACH: UCF vs. Wisconsin
FIESTA: USC vs. Ohio State
ORANGE: Miami vs. Auburn
COTTON: Penn State vs. Washington/Notre Dame

Fan Playoff Selection Committee // Wild Card Game

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 am 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: University of Michigan --- GO BLUE
See PollMastaJ's poll
I think you gotta give it to Ohio St. Wins over #4, #9 and #16. Alabama has wins over #17 and #23. Ohio St lost bad to Iowa, sure, but the quality wins make up for it.

#1 Clemson vs #4 Ohio St (Sugar Bowl I guess, to give Clemson a bit of a geographical advantage)
#2 Oklahoma vs #3 Georgia (Rose Bowl to give the Sooners a bit of a geographical advantage)

Orange Bowl: #9 Wisconsin vs #10 Miami, Fl
Fiesta Bowl: #5 Auburn vs #7 USC
Peach Bowl: #6 Alabama vs #8 Penn St
Cotton Bowl: #11 TCU vs #14 UCF

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:58 am 
Senior
Senior

Cash on hand:

See TheBlitz's poll
I'd give it to USC first and UCF 2nd, Ohio St 3rd. No way it turns out that way, but here's some thoughts why:

Alabama played a typical home heavy, embarrassingly weak non conference schedule. Failed to beat top teams and didn't even win it's division. With only 4 slots, I don't care if people think they are the most talented team, the games are played and they lost their buy in game to the best team on their schedule, the same Auburn team that got beaten soundly yesterday. SEC was very down this year....you need to at least get to the title game to be in the conversation.

Ohio St looked awful winning yesterday, 3 TO's and Wisconsin showed the weakness of the Big 10. They went undefeated, yet I'd be hard pressed to favor them against USC, Stanford, Wash, Wash St and it would be even against the Az Schools. Not to say the Pac 12 is awesome, just that it's not really behind the Big 10 as many would believe. They didn't just lose to Iowa, they got destroyed. Also soundly beat at home by another team in the playoff. If we are already certain they are worse than another playoff team, what's the point?

USC, playing well right now without any bad losses on the Schedule (@ wash St and ND). Beat a good Stanford team in a game where both teams looked solid. Not saying they are great, but they lack the warts of the other 2 options. Are only out of the conversation because the narrative generally favors the SEC and Big 10 in college football.

UCF. This is why we need 6-8 teams in the playoff. I don't think they are one of the best 4 teams, but who knows. They've beaten everyone, and USF and Memphis are no pushovers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:10 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

See PollMastaJ's poll
Well the committee blew it. Shouldn't be too surprised I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:19 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: Oregon State
See BeaverBeliever's poll
Got it right IMO. Can't just excuse a 31 point loss to Iowa.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:54 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

See PollMastaJ's poll
Not outright, but Alabama lost their one shot at a top 10 team. Ohio St has two top 10 wins, and beat the committee's #16 by 45. To me that more than makes up for the admittedly puzzling Iowa loss (the Hawkeye's aren't bad, either). LSU and Miss St wins are good but not enough.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:28 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: Florida
See Crayton's poll
So we all agree then? Alabama should of had to play and defeat a Top 10 team (Penn State) this past weekend to earn playoff eligibility. Though they may indeed be one of the 4 best, it is silly that by losing the Iron Bowl they got to sit home while everyone else faced stiff competition. Viva la Wild Card Game!!!

Fan Playoff Selection Committee // Wild Card Game

Post subject: 14th Annual December Delirium Voting Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:51 pm 
High School Player
High School Player

Cash on hand:

Favorite Team: Arkansas
See clwtampa's poll
I'm sure this has been discussed over and over here, but this is what needs to happen soon. 8 teams. More than that would cause to many problems with games, rivalries, etc. I know the 64 team bracket is for fun and its cool to think about where teams would be seeded. As I said before, I'm sure you all have gone over this a million times, but this is where the 8 team field gives any team in the country a "chance" to be national champions.

The power 5 champions get a automatic bid. So, This year, Ohio State, Georgia, USC, Clemson,& Oklahoma are in. The next 3 spots are chosen. There is a real game changer here. Any group of 6 team that goes undefeated gets a bid. This year it would be UCF. Say if Toledo, UCF, & Arkansas State all go undefeated in the same season, they are in. So any power 5 team that bitches about not getting an at-large bid, well, they didn't win their league.

In the event more than three group of six teams go undefeated, then it would go to a vote. I don't think the chances of that happening often is minuscule. This years team is UCF

1.Clemson vs. 8 UCF
4. Alabama vs. 5. Ohio State

2.Oklahoma vs. 7. Wisconsin
3. Georgia vs. 6. USC

The importance in this is if every team could actually have a opportunity to play in the playoff or win the national championship. Think about how that could change the recruiting landscape. It may not initially, but you would see more smaller schools going 10-2, 11-1, 12-0, 12-0, during the regular season, start picking up big time recruits. This could also keep successful coaches at the same smaller school for much longer. Well, if these schools were able to pay the 7 mill a year contracts. That's not going to happen. Maybe they would stay for loyalty. ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:57 pm 
Senior
Senior

Cash on hand:

Favorite Team: Ohio State FSU service academies
See CFBrocks's poll
[quote="Crayton"]My bet is on Alabama, because Ohio State did not make the statement win they needed.

getting smoked by Iowa didn't help the resume either

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:24 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: Oregon State
See BeaverBeliever's poll
PollMastaJ wrote:
Not outright, but Alabama lost their one shot at a top 10 team. Ohio St has two top 10 wins, and beat the committee's #16 by 45. To me that more than makes up for the admittedly puzzling Iowa loss (the Hawkeye's aren't bad, either). LSU and Miss St wins are good but not enough.

The Big 10 collectively (42 games) has ZERO non-conference wins against the top 25. Penn State and Wisconsin are alleged top 10 teams with 2 wins against the top 25, and those are both Northwestern. Michigan State's only ranked win is...Penn State. They all took care of the teams they were supposed to for the most part, and then their only wins of consequence are against each other and several of them have losing records against the top 25. This was an annual Big 12 thing for years where they went like 27-3 in the OOC against a schedule worse than the SEC. I usually do this for the Big 12, but here's every Big 10 OOC win:

Ball State
Western Kentucky
@ Virginia
Georgia Southern
Charleston Southern
Wyoming
@ Iowa State (Tie!)
North Texas
@ Texas
Towson
vs. Florida
Austin Peay
Cincinnati
Bowling Green
Western Michigan
Buffalo
@ Oregon State
Middle Tennessee
Arkansas State
Nevada
Bowling Green
Army
UNLV
Akron
Pittsburgh
Georgia State
Ohio
@ Missouri
Morgan State
Utah State
Florida Atlantic
@ Brigham Young

According to the polls-ours, AP or coaches-the best Big 10 OOC win is Florida Atlantic, something Buffalo can also claim. There's nothing here to me that says the Big 10 and its wins are so much better than the SEC's that it makes up for an entire extra loss, which was by 31. And I'm not sure that a home loss to Oklahoma is even equal to a road loss @ Auburn. Only the rankings declare that Ohio State's wins are better. But those are all over teams who have virtually no wins of significance. To dismiss Alabama because they lost their only chance at a top 10 team means Penn State and Michigan State and Wisconsin also all need to be dismissed because they've accomplished nothing that says they have accomplished nothing more than LSU or Mississippi State. And don't forget Alabama beat Florida State and it is because of Francois' injury against Alabama that their season fell apart before they salvaged something at the end.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:39 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

See NVWolfpack's poll
NVWolfpack wrote:
Whether or not they get in, gun to my head, I think the Tide is the best team in the country and I bet Vegas would agree if they had to handicap the odds for the remaining teams.[?

Vegas agrees that Alabama is the favorite to win the national championship:
Alabama +190
Oklahoma +280
Clemson +280
Georgia +280

Alabama is a 2 point favorite over Clemson.

3. Georgia
4. Alabama
5. UCF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:11 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

See PollMastaJ's poll
Iowa St's a much better win than Florida Atlantic. The lack of quality OOC wins for the Big Ten is valid point - I think the SEC is a better conference as a whole - but I still believe Ohio St to have the better resumé. LSU, Alabama's best win, still lost to Troy. Mississippi St lost to Ole Miss. You can still make judgments based on innerconference games. Iowa losing to Purdue was bizarre and is what made Ohio St's loss extra puzzling - if Iowa had just finished 8-4 it wouldn't have been as bad. You're also not doing yourself any favors by having your entire conference play FCS opponents in November. And regardless of Florida St's outlook at the beginning of the season, they still went 6-6 so that's not that great a win. It will be interesting to see how the Big Ten does in their bowl games - if it goes poorly I may concede Ohio St didn't have as strong a resumé as I thought. At the moment, however, their pummeling of Michigan St, and 2 Top 10 (albeit innerconference) wins are more impressive than what Alabama's done, in my opinion.