All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Official Pollster Status [MOD]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:45 pm 
High School Player
High School Player

Cash on hand:

Favorite Team: Arkansas
See clwtampa's poll
Can someone please tell me why I am no longer an official pollster. I missed one week last year and got kicked off. Please fix this, thank you.

Post subject: Re: Official Pollster Status [MOD]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:40 am 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: Florida
See Crayton's poll
clwtampa wrote:
Can someone please tell me why I am no longer an official pollster. I missed one week last year and got kicked off. Please fix this, thank you.
I can. You missed 3 polls last year. After missing 2 in a single year (not counting pre- and post-season) you are no longer an official pollster. For the first of those 3, in September, you were moving and were gladly shown grace. I did (and always do) double check after the second missed poll closes to make sure I have not recorded things in error.

With the change in management this summer, previous polls might have been lost (!). It would be fair to assume you voted in the post-bowl poll and I see you have already voted in the preseason poll. With 2 more weeks of voting, you'll be eligible for reinstatement as an "official" voter.

I've worked hard the last few years to limit the differences between "official" and (newly re-termed) "candidate" pollsters. There is access to the non-public forum, where little is ever posted, and there is, of course, the honor of having your username listed below the site-wide tally. You are a full member of our community and your forum participation (which is exemplary) is not marred by an "unofficial" tag or color.

The two main reasons for putting a barrier to becoming "official" are to keep out 'bad' polls (this would be folks who list teams by something other than "ability to win"; yours, clwtampa, is in no way a 'bad' poll), and to maintain a fair degree of consistency (hence the requirement of 4 consecutive weeks to become official, and the limit of 1 missed poll per year to stay official).

I, personally, have no qualms with expanding the number of "grace" weeks shown to official pollsters from 1 to... 2. If there are a variety of opinions going that way, it is something we could vote on. My opinion on the number is that 1 is sufficient, and that extenuating circumstances (like a move) are always considered case-to-case, as they were with clwtampa.

I am sorry; you have brought this up on more than one occasion in the past and I have responded each time with only a brief "if you miss a 2nd poll...". You deserve this fuller explanation, and it is also a good opportunity to re-state where things currently stand regarding the thorny topic of losing official status.

EDIT: If I had my druthers you'd automatically be upgraded to official status after the 4 weeks, provided your poll is not 'bad', which it won't be, and you would not have to think about anything but enjoying football, crafting your poll, and shootin' the breeze on the forum. This other stuff would be automatic.

Fan Playoff Selection Committee // Wild Card Game

Post subject: Re: Official Pollster Status [MOD]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:58 pm 
High School Player
High School Player

Cash on hand:

Favorite Team: Arkansas
See clwtampa's poll
Ok, makes sense. I hadn't realized I missed that many poll votes. Thank you for responding to me.