Post subject: Site Changes? Brainstorm!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:15 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: Florida
See Crayton's poll
What changes, upgrades, added details, brand new features, etc. would you like to see on this site? These can be things to enhance your personal experience or to grow the site. Not sure how feasible these are now, but a "Brainstorm" means there are no "wrong" answers.

Here are a few I've been mulling over:

a) Add part of the Pick 'em Standings (Top 5?) to the front page for more prestige/exposure
b) Stop colorizing names within the forum setting "official" voters apart from "unofficial" voters/non-voters
c) Add some sort of mock-committee feature
d) Add some sort of "like" button, complete with BCSBucks reward
e) Be able to share threads/posts to social media, sending eyeballs this way
f) Bring back the t-shirts.
g) Some of this may require overhauling the forum itself. Old posts can still be ported to a new one.
h) A Visual Refresh may be nice anyway.
i) Seek a small SportsNews website or two (even a few team-specific ones) to partner with; supplying our well-read Community and Fan Poll in exchange for more eyeballs on those products.
j) ...

Any small or BIG ideas from you all?

Fan Playoff Selection Committee // Wild Card Game

Post subject: Re: Site Changes? Brainstorm!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:18 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Cash on hand:

Favorite Team: Clemson
See ASJTimm's poll
Maybe something formal to do with BCS Bucks. As of now, they are only used for bets and only then if someone starts one. Perhaps a certain amount of BCS Bucks could buy you a re-do on your poll if you make a mistake or something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand:

See TheTopFan's poll
Crayton - Thanks for posting!

Many of these you and I discussed in our private messages....

I would love to see this site grow for 2017 and beyond....

I am getting some promo items made - both for current OP's and for those that join up and become new voters...

Also, right at the beginning of the 2017 season, let's all promote the site as much as we possibly can across social media...

As I was telling Crayton, I don't make a penny on the site. But I would love to see it grow and become more active...If it were to ever pick up advertising, there is an animal rescue charity that I would like to send the money to....

Thanks to Crayton, Beaver Believer and PollMastaJ for the things they do to make this site fun to go to!

If anybody would like to discuss any ideas - or even part ownership of the site - please PM me!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:37 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

See Crayton's poll
ASJTimm wrote:
Maybe something formal to do with BCS Bucks. As of now, they are only used for bets and only then if someone starts one. Perhaps a certain amount of BCS Bucks could buy you a re-do on your poll if you make a mistake or something.
Hmm, the ability to edit past/missed polls might be neat on its own too.

aa) Someone else mentioned awarding Bucks to the Pick'em winner.
bb) Should we update the name?
cc) Are there things that Bucks could purchase??? Interview on an aforementioned news site? Change the forum colors to your team colors for a week?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:51 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: University of Michigan --- GO BLUE
See PollMastaJ's poll
Definitely on board with having the Pick 'Em standings on the home page, and having a social media presence would definitely bring in more voters. It'd be cool to get back to ~60 like we had a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:52 am 
Junior
Junior

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: None
See harryjunior's poll
I like the mock playoff committee idea. I would be happy to be part of it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:07 am 
Senior
Senior

Cash on hand:

See TheBlitz's poll
Since the system has changed, we ought to rebrand to match the current system. Essentially be the fan voice of the selection committee, so we should have a top 4 after championship week that we feel should make the playoff. Discussions on resumes, criteria, rankings should be prominent, and a rebranding with this in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:46 am 
Senior
Senior

Cash on hand:

Bank:

See DAWG's poll
I just think what would be best is to make sure it is a site devoted to very Civil discussion. I have not posted much this year, as I just got tired of the personal attacks by some at the site the last 3 years. I still vote as I have for years....but I just do not feel comfortable posting much. I wonder if the lack of posts by many could be related to that. Or perhaps I am wrong. Either way, have a great day and a blessed Christmas everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:32 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: University of Michigan --- GO BLUE
See PollMastaJ's poll
DAWG wrote:
I just got tired of the personal attacks by some at the site the last 3 years.

Well, there's been like none of that this year, on the plus side

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand:

See TheTopFan's poll
Dawg - would love to see you post more!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:01 pm 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Favorite Team: Nevada Wolfpack
See NVWolfpack's poll
I'd love to see everyone post more!

3. Washington
4. Penn St.
5. Ohio St.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:41 pm 
All-American
All-American

Cash on hand:

Bank:

See Trey's poll
A mock playoff committee seems like a natural extension of this idea; would it exist separate to the main poll or essentially become the main poll?

Fully agreed on social media sharing as well! And maybe someone who's more proficient with site art could create some kind of small, 10th Anniversary banner for next season...it'll technically be the 11th season of polling but ten years since the site's inception.

Also, on a smaller note, I'll apologize if any of my...more contentious threads or comments - many with the seemingly-departed SOONERFLASH - contributed to that less-than-civil atmosphere DAWG mentioned. Never an intention and I've valued the detailed, passionate discussion seen here over the last decade. Had rarely felt things went over the line, though obviously every one has a different line. I've barely been active since early 2014, though not for that reason; finishing college, starting a job, other life commitments, etc. Intended to return this season but that ran right into a new car and house, and before I knew it the season was almost over. Still got in a poll, though, so I'm happy to have submitted at least one over all ten seasons. Glad to see this place still going and planning both a full return in 2017 and a small project between now and the championship.

My avatar is my current #1 team.

New #1s=07-USC, LSU, USF, OSU, Oregon, Kansas, Mizzou, Hawaii 08-UGA, Bama, UF, Utah 09-BYU, Iowa, TCU 10-BSU, Auburn 11-OU 12-ND 13-Stanford, Clemson, FSU 14-TX A&M, MS St - 24 teams, 10 years...fun sport

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:20 am 
Heisman
Heisman

Cash on hand:

Bank:

See Crayton's poll
Trey wrote:
A mock playoff committee seems like a natural extension of this idea; would it exist separate to the main poll or essentially become the main poll?

Fully agreed on social media sharing as well! And maybe someone who's more proficient with site art could create some kind of small, 10th Anniversary banner for next season...it'll technically be the 11th season of polling but ten years since the site's inception.
I imagine the mock committee would be separate. Maybe it would build off of the main poll, but I imagine many people are content to plug in their Top 25 each week. Just as participation in the Pick 'Em doesn't not depend upon poll participation (and vice versa), it'd be nice if participation in the mock committee was not dependent upon creating a full poll. It is that same vein that I suggested doing away with the color/font differentiation between usernames based upon "official" status.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand:

See TheTopFan's poll
Working on getting some promo items made right now (as in this morning!)....

Going to get some really cool hats made, and some stickers and some other items...

Will be glad to give these items out to you guys both for yourself and to help go get new people to join us (friends, family, coworkers, etc...) come September...Will mail to whoever wants to help out...

I like the ideas presented in this thread and am excited for the 2017 season! I think social media is really key as the 2017 season begins....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:15 pm 
All-American
All-American

Cash on hand:

Bank:

See Trey's poll
Crayton wrote:
I imagine the mock committee would be separate. Maybe it would build off of the main poll, but I imagine many people are content to plug in their Top 25 each week. Just as participation in the Pick 'Em doesn't not depend upon poll participation (and vice versa), it'd be nice if participation in the mock committee was not dependent upon creating a full poll. It is that same vein that I suggested doing away with the color/font differentiation between usernames based upon "official" status.

The main reason I asked about the committee potentially supplanting the main poll is that the committee still releases a Top 25 each week; I suppose the only real difference is a more pointed focus on the top four/first two out. Would people end up having a different "committee" Top 4 than the Top 4 in their normal poll?

But I do see your point about allowing people to just add in their own Top 4 if they wanted, separate from the rest of the 25. Also in agreement with the lack of a need for colored usernames, I doubt most of us even remember off the top of our heads what they signify.

My avatar is my current #1 team.

New #1s=07-USC, LSU, USF, OSU, Oregon, Kansas, Mizzou, Hawaii 08-UGA, Bama, UF, Utah 09-BYU, Iowa, TCU 10-BSU, Auburn 11-OU 12-ND 13-Stanford, Clemson, FSU 14-TX A&M, MS St - 24 teams, 10 years...fun sport